What is a trademark?
- A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.
[Trade-mark] [treyd-mahrk] –noun
- Any name, symbol, figure, letter, word, or mark adopted and used by a manufacturer or merchant in order to designate his or her goods and to distinguish them from those manufactured or sold by others. A trademark is a proprietary term that is usually registered with the Patent and Trademark Office to assure its exclusive use by its owner.
- A distinctive mark or feature particularly characteristic of or identified with a person or thing.
–verb (used with object)
- 3. to stamp or otherwise place a trademark designation upon.
- to register the trademark of.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
In March-April of 2006 the IAOC Board embarked on a special project geared toward the preservation of the International Amphicar Owners Club. The decision was made to utilize some of the club money toward trademarking the name “Amphicar” (you may recall the “Legal” expenses described in the July/August 2006 newsletter). This was done for two main reasons:
1.) Prevent anyone else from claiming the word Amphicar and thereby jeopardizing IAOC members from its use, and
2.) To provide a measure of ownership to members of the IAOC.
So in short, as a member of the International Amphicar Owners Club, you have direct and tangible ownership in the trademarking of the very word “Amphicar” to which our little amphibious wonders are named. Congratulations to all our fine finned friends! The IAOC board sincerely hopes you find this is wonderful news and a pleasant year end surprise.
In keeping with the theme of the “Amphicar” trademark the IAOC Board is pleased to also provide our members with a modest 2006 year end gift. The Amphicar decals enclosed with your July/August 2006 newsletter are of high quality material made to withstand years of sun and water abuse. Remember – adhere these only to surfaces that are clean, smooth, and dry. Spread the word “Amphicar” in highly visible places and remember to point out to everyone that YOU, as a member of the International Amphicar Owners Club, actually own the trademark on that special word.
The 2006 IAOC Board: John Edeistein (IAOC President & Newsletter Editor), John Bevins (Webmaster), David Chapman, Gloria Tiller & Mike Bayman (Celina Coordinators), Steve Fischer (Treasurer), Ron Green.
United States Patent & Trademark Office